TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Lg picture goes when try to input via hdmi, avi or usb,

lg picture goes when try...
lg picture goes when try to input via hdmi, avi or usb
JA: What LG model do you have? How old is it?
Customer: 50pk550, 5yrs
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: live tv is ok
JA: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?
Customer: 1 yr. no problem previously
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/18/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

not tried the reset. Have replaced the tv since. Can get a main board for $50. Is that a potential solution?

If you can find one, yes that is the most likely solution, if it happens only on hdmi and usb.

These sets are built for about a 5 year service life though, so even fixing the current issue won't extend its life significantly as other parts will continue to fail. You may get a few more months or a year out of it, but it won't go another 5+

Probably only use as a big screen for games. So mainboard is the likely problem?

Yes, mainboard is the likely problem here.

OK. for $50 its worth it. Thx

You're very welcome, and good luck!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer