TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our Samsung 40 inch TV,is less than 3 years old and the

screen has gone dark, sound...
Our Samsung 40 inch TV,is less than 3 years old and the screen has gone dark, sound works. What could be wrong?
8/17/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When you first turn on the Samsung, does the Samsung welcome logo display on the screen? Also will pressing MENU on the original Samsung remote pull up menu items? Or does the screen remain pitch black- as if the TV were not even turned on?

It stays dark, there is a faint image only if the room is dark, you can make out an image.

Thank you for the reply. The faint image indicates that the screen's backlights are not functioning- which is usually caused by a premature hardware failure in the set. In most cases this will require repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Are you able to see my reply above with those steps?

Aric, Technician
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Phone call session started