TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We have a Hitachi SPU42 TV serial # EH2911 that we need to

hook up so we can...
We have a Hitachi SPU42 TV serial # EH2911 that we need to hook up so we can use it without cable. What antenna works? We live in Nashville and the TV is in our Air BnB apartment that does not have cable
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was one of the first digital tvs on the market so maybe over 14 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We were able to get all the functions such as pic in pic but cannot get it to receive local tv even with an extra antenna
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also we have not used it for about a year
8/17/2017
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

When you say you can get pic in pic is there actually a picture?or just the elements (boxes) of the pic in pic?so the picture is working fine via the antenna in pic in pic mode?

No we only see static no picture but it is evident that it is functioning. We tried adding a local tv antenna but no luck

If you are seeing static that is the old analogue system now defunct so the set is in the wrong input mode OR its not a digital TV (does not have digital tuner) can you please get me the full model number found on the back of the set so I can run a check and advise please

Is there another number beyond EH2911

No that is not it have another look please

I found 42HDT20M 02J002976

If you cant find it pick up the TV remote and find the SOURCE or INPUT button and keep pressing it until you get DTV as an icon, if this does not come up or there is no sign of a DTV button on the remote the TV is NOT a digital set, however you can connect a cheap set-top-box (you can get one of those from walmart or radio shack)up to one of the inputs on the set and then it will work OK

OK hang on

Hold on we are going to try

Set is NOT a digital TV I am afraid you can use a set-top-box with it though these cost about $50

Interesting because it says Digital TV on the front

I just checked the specs it says its only an analogue set, is there a DTV icon when you swap inputs?is there a DTV button on the remote?

It has two analogue tuners for the pic in pic mode now not usable

There is a set up mode to incorporate a set top box via the AVC unit

We tried hooking up a square flat type of antenna

And?

If you are seeing snow speckles that is the old analogue you wont get anything from that its switched off now

Is the AVC the extra box that is the working part of the tv?
We did not get a picture when we tried the local flat square antenna

There is an AVC box that goes under and is connected to the set yes you need that

And you will need a set top box as I described earlier if you want this to work I can send you the user manual for this that will show you how to connect up

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the information or answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days.

Anthony

Our remote is a clu-5723TSL
Where do I find the manual?
Thanks we are trying again using the manual
Now we are calling you

If no one contacts you from the phone team please just text back here

Please understand the set WILL NOT pick anything up its an analogue ONLY set it has no digital tuner, the digital tuner should have been in the AVC box

You will need a set-top-box

ok we are ordering an HDTV antenna so never mind the call

Do you understand what I am saying here or not??

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
we ordered an Leelbox that my son in law recommended He is familiar with TV
As I noted earlier it is a digital TV so hopefully the next antenna will be adequate

OK if that is a digital receiver box then that is good there is a tutorial in the manual you downloaded to hook this upto the AVC box the antenna goes into this box and all the channels will come through, no the set is analogue only, DIGITAL for the monitor only NOT the AVC box where the tuners are, these sets are way old there was no digital channels when these came out

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician