TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. I am trying to attach a…

I have a Pioneer...

I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. I am trying to attach a sound bar to it using the optical audio port. There is a line in the Home Menu/Options labeled Optical Audio, but it is grayed out. When you try to change the setting, a message says "Current settings do not allow selection and adjustment". How do I change the settings to allow me to utilize Optical Audio?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It says it is a Pro507-PU

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This is new. I just got the soundbar and am trying to connect it using the Optical Audio port

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/16/2017
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to assist you with your Pioneer Plasma Tv.
I researched your particular TV and came up that the optical out on the plasma is only for the internal analog and DTV tuners and analog video inputs (the composite, S-Video and component connections.) It does not put out HDMI audio due to copy protection regulations at that time. Sorry. Only way to use optical cable would be from your cable box or Satellite receiver.
If there is anything else you would like to know, please let me know. Otherwise please rate my service so I can get credit for assistance. I would appreciate it.
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician