Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

When I try to change channels with my remote control, the tv

When I try to change channels with my remote control, the tv turns off.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: model number is ***** WESTINGHOUSE DIGITAL.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can change channels with buttons on the tv.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working yesterday morning. When I came home last night it hasn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I turn the tv around to find the model number the tv did come on by itself.

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Which remote are you using when this happens , the tv`s remote or cable remote for example

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello

Hi

Which remote are you using when this happens , the tv`s remote or cable remote for example ?

If you try to change channels again , does it come back on ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tv remote

You don`t have a cable or satellite remote ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no

O.k and did you see what i asked above ?

Just want to know if the tv`s remote commands are mixed up

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It does come back on ??

O.k then at this point either the remote has mixed up infrared light sequences or the tv`s main board is misinterpreting the commands from the remote

You would need to try another remote

Very likely you could find a universal remote locally for $10 or less , just make sure it says westinghouse on the box .

Also , here is something to try ;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks.

Let me know how that goes and by the way , if it turns out to be a remote control problem then you can get a new one here for $18

http://remotebarn.us/catalogsearch/result/?q=DWM40F3G1

If that answers your questions for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

Any questions on this ?
If not for now then PLEASE DO RATE , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service