TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I get a messge that the plasma tv is warming. I have waited…

Customer Question
I get a messge...

I get a messge that the plasma tv is warming. I have waited 30 minutes and still a black screen.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

I haven't check, but there are.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

About a week ago.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

There is a humming sound. no blinking lights.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
8/14/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What is the full model number off of the back of the TV in question here? Also how old is the set roughly?

The set is about 5 years old and I am unable to get to the back of the tv to see the model. I probably can find the manual if that would be helpful. I have unplugged the AC from the wall for 2 min and then held the power button for 8-10 sec. and no luck so far. The power outlet is in the garage so it take a few seconds to walk back into the house.

Can you at least reply back with what BRAND the TV is? I can't see your TV and know nothing else about it except it's a Plasma. Please help me to help you....

It is a pioneer tv
I can get the model from the manual if that would help. it would take a few minutes to get.

Yes please. Also the set would need to be a bit older than 5 years as Pioneer has not made these in about 7 years....

Then you are correct. i am getting the manual as we speak
PDP-5-40HD

Thank you. So just to clarify, the set simply stays locked with the ".....warming...." message and will not boot beyond that screen correct?

Also can you tell me if the LED indicator on the plasma display panel is lit, out or blinking (also red or blue)?

LED light is on. the message is plasma is warming up, wait a while.

Okay and I'm asking if that message stays on the screen indefinitely?

no it goes off.

Then what happens? Please elaborate as I'm not there to see what you're seeing.

The screen goes grey.

Grab the original Pioneer remote and once the screen turns grey, press MENU- or anything else on the remote and let me know if ANYTHING beyond the grey screen will display.

I am going to plug the tv back in and let you know. hold on

Okay.

Hit the on/off and the tv went off and then i turned it back on and the same warning message came up.
sound is on, no pic

Okay let's try again- you said that after the message showed on the screen- the screen went grey. I asked you to press MENU or something else on the remote and tell me if anything will display when you press MENU. I know the same warning message comes up, I'm asking you to check after the message using the MENU BUTTON on the ORIGINAL PIONEER remote. Are you able to do that please?

The menu list comes up

What is connected to your TV that you're trying to watch then??

There is a cable, box, apple tv, yamaha reciever

The Yamaha receiver would be a likely culprit here. Bypass the receiver and plug the cable box DIRECTLY into the TV and let me know if you then get a picture.

I can't do that because the tv is mounted on the wall.

Sure you can simply remote the output cable from the Yamaha and plug it into the cable box. The most common and likely cause of this is the video processor in the receiver- and not the TV at all. In other words, the Yamaha is likely the cause of the problem. Let me know.

Aric, I wouldn't know which cable to plug or unplug.
can we continue this tomorrow?

The thing is your TV's native MENU functions display normally- which generally indicates your TV is fine and operating as it should. When you have a home theater receiver, ALL video sources run through the receiver and then to the TV- and this is the most COMMON failure when these receivers are in use. So right now you're not looking at a TV problem, you're looking at a fault within the receiver that requires it either be repaired or replaced. If you're not able to re-route the cabling yourself, then you will need to contact someone to come in home and do this for you. I can only GUIDE you as to what you need to do- but you would need to do the footwork. Otherwise I would suggest contacting a local AV Installer, or Best Buy's "Geek Squad" and have them make an in home visit. There is nothing more we can try here on a user level, but what I can tell you is that your TV does not appear to be the root cause in any way.

Thank you for your help. I will call them tomorrow.

You're welcome and best of luck. Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician