TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a LC 52D85U that appears to be dead. The power light

I have a LC 52D85U...
I have a LC 52D85U that appears to be dead. The power light is flashing. I tried a hard restart by unplugging it for one minute but it didn't help.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: LC 52D85U
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I have a black screen. nothing is working
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I started a DVD and the TV just quit
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/12/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Is the OPC light also blinking ?

No
no

O.k then look at the power light and tell me if for example there is say 2 blinks /pause /2 blinks and so on

Give me the count please

I`m ready to accept your phone request but first i want to make sure you understand that this cost an extra $26
Do you still want that call or do you wish to continue in chat mode ?

1 blink w/ 1 second interval between blinks
just chat

O.k then this is not good , it indicates a lcd panel error

Try this ;

Unplug the tv`s power cord 20 secs or so then press and hold VOLUME DOWN and INPUT directly on the tv (not the remote) while you plug in the power cord
Tell me if it comes on with a letter K on the screen

I will now close that phone offer before it gets posted to the board and someone take you up on that .

The way to close the phone offer is to accept it first to remove it from the board then cancel it , so you may see a charge for it but it will be credited as i closed it as incomplete

Jack
Jack, Technician
Phone call session started
Sharp Aquous LC 52D85 Purchased 12/08. I don't see any volume or input buttons. There are buttons on the right sight that are unlabeled.

Unlabeled ???

That's odd , let me check the manual and I will tell you which is what

got it. let me try

no problem

nothing happened

O.k then we`ll try the force mode

same thing but this time with the channel down and volume up buttons

ok
still nothing

O.k then you more than likely have a failed inverter board

There are two of them ,master and slave that get replaced at the same time usually and they cost around $40 a piece

More to come , let me type this down

OK

Before ordering those inverters part # RUNTKA478WJZZ and RUNTKA479WJZZ you would need to check the 24 volts that feeds them coming from the power board

If you have a voltmeter and are into repairing this yourself then I will show you were to test and also find those boards for you

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 10 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $400 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Thank you.

No problem , much welcome

Your diagnosis was wrong. It was the power supply. Complete waste of time and money.

As i can`t be there myself with tools and meters I can only go by the code you gave me and manual

Return it and get that main if you figure this is what it is !!

Did you check that 24 volts anyway ?

Did you replace the main board yet or you figure that is the problem

That code points to a problem either with the inverters or worse , the LCD panel itself

See what i said above " O.k then this is not good , it indicates a lcd panel error "

Tried to save your tv as there was a chance the system processor mistook the inverter problem for a lcd panel problem

Again , did you check the power supply 24 volts as i suggested first before ordering anything ?

Never mind what i said about the main board above , a mistake this morning but in any case that code never points to a power supply issue and again I told you to check the 24 volts !!

Better yet i even said " I will show you were to test and also find those boards for you "

Apparently you did not check it so the fault is not mine here if you did not follow my advices

I don't have equipment to test anything. I will never recommend this site to anyone.

Then sorry but you took a chance without testing

In any case it is very seldom that the power board will be the culprit , perhaps a 5% chance and you happened to be in it

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician