TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Can not change channels, on screen-this function not

available now showing. JA: What's the...
can not change channels, on screen-this function not available now showing.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: 2009, lg plasma
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: up & down channels is the only thing that doesn't work
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: last night.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

hello

Hi

How do you receive your tv channels , antenna ,straight cable ,cable box with remote or satellite box ?

Cable

Do you have a cable remote or just the TV's remote

Note that I do not send phone offers myself , they are automated by the website and I`m not available for it this morning but another expert might be if you prefer it that way

cable remote, channel does not work on the tv either.

O.k then it is cable box with remote

This means your tv is set to an input like component or HDMI and it is quite normal that the tv will send you this message if you are trying to change channels using the TV's remote

Make sure the cable box remote is in CABLE mode by pressing the CBL/CABLE button at the top first and use that to change channels

batteries are good in remote, will not do anything, can not shut off tv.

Can you change channels with the cable remote now ?

no!

In that case you either have a defective cable box or its remote

Was it programmed for the tv ?

Which remote are you using when you get that function not available message

TV`s or cable box`s

either one.

Does not make sense it would be one or the other but more likely you are trying with the TV's remote

If the cable box remote was programmed for the tv and does not operate it any longer nor change channels for its cable box then you have a defective cable remote

You could reboot the cable box by pulling out its power cord for a minute but it won`t change anything

By the way , park the tv remote here , it is redundant and just confuses the issues

I tried that, if I change input to antenna and try tv ?

Definitely NOT , that would only mix up the problem

This is a cable box or remote issue , more likely its remote

Again ; If the cable box remote was programmed for the tv and does not operate it any longer nor change channels for its cable box then you have a defective cable remote

why won't the up & down bottons on tv work ?

Because it is not the one changing channels , it is set to an external input , you cannot change channels on the tv unless it is set to antenna /cable and there wont be anything there so don`t even try it

FORGET the tv`s channels , this is a CABLE BOX REMOTE issue

Are there any buttons on that cable box ?

no.

Have that remote replaced by the cable company

Reboot the cable box as I suggested but this definitely looks like the remote is the problem here

This is NOT a tv issue

Did you change the batteries in the cable remote or just the TV's remote ?

cable remote only.

O.k then bad remote

thank you.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate with the stars at the top of your page (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.
And note this post will stay open to further conversation if needed.

Jack
Jack, Technician

Thank you

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician