TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My HDMI inputs won"t work on my MOdel 46LD550-UBAUSMLUR LG…

Customer Question
My HDMI inputs won"t...

My HDMI inputs won"t work on my MOdel 46LD550-UBAUSMLUR LG TV but the antenna input works fine. Bob

Technician's Assistant: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?

Yes and it still won"t work.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works but the auto tune does not bring in any cable HD stations.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We were watching a netflix movie and in the middle of the movie we got a no signal message on the tv.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

I can"t think of anything else.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
8/10/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Hdmi circuitry and these boards are highly sensitive and even just plugging/unplugging cords while powered can cause this type of damage.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.