Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sony Bravia tv model XBR-65X850D I want to know how

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia tv model XBR-65X850D I want to know how to use the built in wifi on the tv. And can I use this built in wifi to watch shows on Netflix
JA: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?
Customer: No
JA: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?
Customer: Well I am asking if I can use the tv wifi instead of my router which has limited data.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I want to know if I can use the built in WIFI instead of my Exceed router which has limited data availability
Category: TV
Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

My name is***** TV is equipped with a Wifi adaptor which enables it to connect to a WIFI network, such as the one your router provides for your home internet, or if you have a smart phone you can setup a hotspot on your mobile your TV can connect to.

In short WIFI is just a connection method (like Ethernet), so you would need a router or hotspot for the TV to connect to in order to access the internet.

Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

In order to talk you through connecting your TV to your hot spot or router, so you can watch online content on your TV such as Netflix, can you tell me if you already know your router' name and WEP (wireless security key)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My router is from Exceed and has a limited data I was hoping to eliminate having to use the router. I also have a MIFI from Verizon with unlimited data but it is a slow and stops to buffer the data to continue watching. Would it help if I connect to the Sony tv?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

It rather depends on the data speeds the MIFI can support, the TV can connect to your Verizon MIFI or your Exceed router, however as you already mentioned you have limited usage on your Exceed package so suggest you try and connect the TV to the MIFI and see how it copes.

It is also worth going into Netflix and telling it to only display films in standard definition to reduce the amount of buffering.

Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

Once you know the MIFI name and the security key, you can go into the TV's settings and setup the TV to connect to your Verizon MIFI.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

Just wanted to follow up to see how you got on, I am about to log off today but will be back online in 12 hours time at which point I will look to assist you further if you still have issues.

Regards

J

Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

Are you still having an issue connecting your TV to MIFI?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am still having the same issue. You said the tv WIFI is just a connection in that case they should not call it a WIFI. I can connect my tv to my Verizon mifi that was not my question. If my tv has built in WIFI I should be able to connect other devices to it, but when I scan for WIFI the Sony WIFI is not on the list.
Expert:  James I replied 2 months ago.

The Sony WIFI is a client not a host, so the TV connects to devices such as routers and gateways which provide it with internet access, you cant connect other clients to the TV.

If you wanted to connect a WIFI device say speakers to work with the TV you would connect both to your router, and then the router would handle the connection between to two clients.

What kind of device are you looking to connect and I can give you more specific information on if it would work, and how it could be setup.