TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We had several power surges and my Sharp 60 in TV has gone…

Customer Question
We had several power...

We had several power surges and my Sharp 60 in TV has gone dark. I can see a picture but it is very dark the sound works but i can't figure out how to increase the contrast. The original remote was destroyed (puppy) so we had been using a universal. I don't see a contrast button on the back. Any Ideas.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Sorry bought in Dec 2016 LC60N5100U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

To dark to see the menu. can barely make out the picture

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I was out of the room happened 2 weeks ago and I have since purchased a new Sharp (clone friendly ) remote on Amazon thinking that would allow me to access the menu but I couldn't get that to work

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
8/6/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

This is not a setting or anything that a menu adjustment would resolve.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc), which would be consistent with what you experienced.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; since it is less than a year old, you should be covered under the factory warranty though and can file a claim with sharp to have them repair it for you. Beyond the warranty period, it would not be worth fixing.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.