Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Our Vizio TV is 5 years old? Is there anything we can do to

Customer Question

Our Vizio TV is 5 years old? Is there anything we can do to get YouTube on our TV again?
JA: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to YouTube?
Customer: It just saysthat You
JA: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?
Customer: It just says that YouTube is no longer supporting the app on this device.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. We have enjoyed YouTube and would like to get it back if possible. We are not in a position to buy a new TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Perhaps you need to update the Vizio system software. Doing so may take some trouble and a bit of time and effort, but though it is not guaranteed to make YouTube work on your Vizio, it is the most likely path to a successful resolution of this problem. Shall we try that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we're ok to do this online.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've already paid $23, so that should cover us doing this online, please.

OK, then. The first and easier path would be to update the app itself - if, repeat if, that is where the problem is.

Can you go on your TV, to the Yahoo TV Store, or the CTV Store, first of all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
which do you prefer?

Either one will do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually, neither is coming up as an option.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not listed under apps.

Then, use Search, in either Store, to find 'YouTube'. And select it. Does it offer you the option to download and install it?

If it does, see if it will install 'over' the current YouTube app. It might possibly object to that app being already present; it might copy a second YouTube app in and you'd have to remember which one works and which doesn't, or delete the one that doesn't work; it might just not work. But try it!

Then if that goes through one way or another, see if the new YouTube app works. Here's hoping for a good result... if not, if there's any trouble with this process, then tell me where the problem occurred, what the error message was, and also what your Vizio TV's exact model # is, and I will instruct you further.

Not appearing as an option? what other Store is under Apps, e.g. Google Play perhaps?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How weird. There's no stores listed on the apps.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way to add stores?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?

Er... try this. Power Off the TV. Then wait 2 min.s. Then power it On, and then press the V button once. Then select the Store (Yahoo TV, or maybe CTV store). Does that work? if so, get YouTube (as I explained before.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The letter V? We do not have an individual V button on our remote.

Then the down-arrow, perhaps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've had to try something else using Roku. None of the suggestions were successful.Thanks, Russell.

I'm sorry to hear that. Vizio does have a page listing all models for which YouTube became inaccessible owing to updates, as of roughly June or July of this year (and a day I cannot remember), so this isn't owing to your TV being 'broken' in any way - other than perhaps needing an update to the Vizio operating firmware or the like. Glad to hear some other solution presented itself. Does my work deserve a rating if it didn't solve this difficulty? if so please mention a rating in parting. Thanks, ***** ***** a great day.