Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

During a lightning storm this morning, we unplugged our

Customer Question

During a lightning storm this morning, we unplugged our surge protector that our RCA 42" TV, model number LED43A45RQ, was plugged into. After the storm, we plugged everything back into the wall outlet. The red light came on the front of the TV, but when we push the power button on the remote (batteries in the remote were changed out just now), it flashes and the TV doesn't come on. Pushing the power button on the side of the TV produces no results. The other items plugged into the surge protector all work, it is only the TV that doesn't come on, even though the red light is on. The TV was a Christmas gift probably 5 years ago or so. Any suggestions on what we should do--didn't find any helps in the user's manual.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I have listed the model number, and it is an RCA.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No menu comes up--the TV screen remains black
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: YOu will note in my initial comments, that we had a lightning storm and had unplugged the surge protector that the TV was plugged into at that time--the TV was not on during the storm or prior to or at the time we unplugged the surge protector.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Offhand the red light simply flashing and the set not turning on isn't outlined in the manual as it's a "hardware failure"- not a normal occurrence. This generally is caused by the Mainboard in the set failing and requiring replacement.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No change after two times.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I need to know if that light starts blinking as soon as the power cord was plugged in, or only after the power button is pressed please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The light on the TV is not and has never blinked--it remains red constantly. It is the remote power button that flashes when pushed only.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Then WHAT were you referring that "flashes" in your original post here?

"The red light came on the front of the TV, but when we push the power button on the remote (batteries in the remote were changed out just now), it flashes and the TV doesn't come on."

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I said it is the remote power button that flashes not the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, so it's only the remote that flashes. The red light remaining on constantly indicates a failed mainboard.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please allow me a few minutes to compose the diagnosis.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Could you please check the model number and confirm that it's actually: LED43A45RQ and not LED43C45RQ (the "C" being the difference)?