TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Picture quit coming on. Only flashes pic for 1/10th of a…

Customer Question
Picture quit coming on...

Picture quit coming on. Only flashes pic for 1/10th of a second every 7 or 8 seconds??

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

E500i-AO. About three years ago. Maybe 4?

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same problem from all input sources.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We had a 4.5 earthquake two nights ago and all of the power went out in the house. Didn't turn TV on again until next day and discovered the problem.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Do you get program sound from TV internal speakers while no picture on screen?

- Does screen show backlight/ dark bluish hue after picture flash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do get sound. Screen is black. No blueish hue.

OK, one more test that will help to diagnose the problem. Turn On TV to get sound from TV speakers.

- Do you see a dim picture if shine a flashlight closely on the screen at an angle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As a matter of fact - I do!

I'm typing info for you, give me couple of minutes please.

OK, so dim/ faint image is visible inside screen.

This test result shows TV has got problem with backlight system and causing dark screen. There are few possible causes like power supply/LED drive board isn't providing voltage to backlights inside screen or the backlight LEDs have been failed.

First I would recommend to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check.

If problem still persist then I'm afraid it is hardware related failure and either power supply board or backlight LEDs are bad, it needs further troubleshooting inside TV to determine what is bad to get it replaced, power board replacement is easy sort of plug & play type work and if backlight LEDs found bad then it is complicated repair because the screen will take apart for LED strips replacement and any wrong move could end up on broken screen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will try the unplugging test. Thanks

Please click following supplier ink to view power supply board and LED backlight strips info if you have plan to do it yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio/e500i-a0

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board/ LED strips replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.