Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Our sound remained but the picture went black. This has

Customer Question

our sound remained but the picture went black. This has happened twice before and some wire wiggling and moving the picture returned but nothing seems to work now. What to do?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: VIZIO E550i-B2 about 3 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu feature on the TV remote (not DIRECT TV) does nothing. Sound still on. No problems elsewhere.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of what it would be.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

So you get no picture of any kind at this point, correct? Even the vizios own menu screens?

If you hold a flashlight up to the screen, can you make out any images or menus that way?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Sorry I'm not sure which question you are saying no to.

Please try to give me as much specific detail as possible.

Is the screen currently lit/glowing at all? Or dead black (as if powered off)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Black as if powered off. Sound on. Able to change channels. No picture
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

And no menus, correct?
Did you try the flashlight test I mentioned?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry, again I don't know what you are saying yes to.

Please try to give me as much specific detail as possible for me to be best able to help you.

1) And no menus, correct?
2) Did you try the flashlight test I mentioned? What did you see with the flashlight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing. No ghosting.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board and/or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These vizio tvs are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is normal and expect to see them last just a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.