TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Pioneer pro-101fd. The set runs for a while then shuts off…

Customer Question
Pioneer pro-101fd. The set...

Pioneer pro-101fd. The set runs for a while then shuts off on its own. The red led blinks 8 times, pauses, 8 times, etc etc. Doing a hard reset usually works. The amount of time it stays on before failing used to be around 2.5-4 hours, but for a while now the time has gotten shorter and shorter. It's down to about an hour now. In your opinion what is the likely hood that it's the power supply board and not the main board?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your PRO-101FD?

HDMI only

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Negative

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

I'm comfortable with a multi meter should he be able to guide me in troubleshooting

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
8/2/2017
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 11 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

You sure its not blinking BLUE 8 times?it definitely is red blinks?

Any pop up messages you may see are sent by the site not me, I am only available by chat myself (typing here)however if you take the phone call option another tech on the phone team may help

it's definitely 8 red blinks.
I've seen several threads about 8 blue blinks but not for my model tv set. I have yet to find a concrete answer so I figured I'd put it past a pro

Have you had the back off the set and examined the power-board visually for any bad capacitors?please tell me everything you have done so far save going over old ground

When i got the set it was reported that it wouldn't turn on, I did the replacement for the company it was in. Since it's a great tv I figured I'd try and fix it and keep it. Inspected the power supply board but no bulging caps or residue. This was a couple of years ago so I haven't opened it recently.
that's really it though, I Never tested for missing voltages or went past a visual inspection since it came on with a hard reset.

working on it......

Take your time I'm going to get some sleep. Are we on any kind of time limit?

Time limit is 30 days so plenty of time here, i will be with you in a min though

OK I have just been through this I have never had 8 red blinks with one of these sets and neither has anyone else here however because of the intermittent nature of the problem its very likely to be a power-board issue, in the frame for this are the address buffers and the X and Y scan boards have a look on the scan boards for any bad capacitors, there never is concrete answers for issues like this it has to be seen through but i would say that replacing the power-board will get the set up and working.

What you could do is a heat test with a hairdryer to bring ON the fault so heat up the power-board and see if it trips with excess heat just to verify it is that

It does appear to be temp sensitive let me know the outcome

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the information or answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days.

Anthony

How is this working out please?