TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have sony KDL-40ex401 Bravia with no power. I could not…

Customer Question
We have sony KDL-40ex401...

We have sony KDL-40ex401 Bravia with no power. I could not even do the system tests on it.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model KDL-40ex401, and it's about 4 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No. We have absolutely no power. We can turn the cable box on, right next to it, but it just doesn't have any light of any kind anywhere.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We had a huge thunderstorm last Wednesday night. But we were not using the tv during that. Everything in our house survived, except out Google cable box. It was the main unit, not near the tv.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

No. I think I have covered everything that i could think of..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Do you have access to the tv right now?

Are you having website difficulties preventing you from replying?

Do you have access to the tv right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
W went down to get my iPhone. I can go by the tv.

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on, preferably with the button on the tv, not remote.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to turn it on from by pushing the button, still no power.

That's not good. I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here. Substantial electronics experience is required on your part.

Otherwise I'm very sorry to say that having it done by a local repair shop will cost more than a new 40" tv. Keep in mind, they won't tell you this, they will want to charge you $99 to come out and then hand you an estimate for more than the tv is worth. So coming here first saved you lots of time and money.

I know this is bad news but I really want you to be satisfied, so before I send the rating options, I want to know if you inclined to give me 5 stars for best service or if you need something more.

Note: You should not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I probably would give 5 stars because you were honest about my big problem. Although it's not quite fixed, but thanks for your help. I'll think about my options.

Thanks. All the best...