TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am unable to pick up any high definition channels on my TV…

Customer Question
I am unable to pick...
I am unable to pick up any high definition channels on my TV but I have them through my cable company what's wrong? Actually when I scan channels it will not pick up any three digit Channel numbers without a dash
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
7/30/2017
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 11 months ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Is your TV new and has this always been a problem?

It's not new but I'm not sure because my daughter gave it to me I don't know if she could get them or not

Okay. Are you familiar with the setup menu and can you tell me how you have your cable service connected to the TV?

Sorry I was delayed in getting back to you I had to take a phone call. The cable service is connected directly to the TV and yes I'm familiar with the menu
I might need you to call me but I just hate to have to pay another $26 I'm already paying $18 for information
That seems somewhat excessive

Okay good. Check the channel setup menu and make sure your TV is set for cable and not antenna.

Already did and it is on cable

Good. How old is your TV?

Not real sure but I know it's less than 6 years or so
I'm pretty sure that it does have or is a high definition TV but it's looking like it won't pick up any high-definition channels when I do a channel scan
All of my high definition channels are three digit numbers without any dashes that's what it's not picking up but it should
It is a smart TV flat screen so I'm sure it's fairly new

It may not be able pickup those channels without a certain type of decoder box from your cable company. Have you checked with them?

I did check with my cable company and they said I did not or should not need the Box. I just looked up the system information it looks like it says February 2008
The only reason I would need the box is if it was an older TV non digital type TV it is a smart flat screen TV that I have

Okay. Let me do a little research on your model and I will get back to you.

I believe it's less than 8 years old
Maybe 6 or 7 years old. However it is a smart TV I can access Netflix and online stuff
Ok. Thanks

Would it be possible for you to find the model number for me?

I will try give me a second
I found 2 numbers. RV53OU and CT-90302.

Okay.

Let me know if that's not them and I will look further
It also says Regza on the TV

That is a good number. Do you have your cable connected directly to the TV cable input?

Try accessing the channel setup menu and reset it. That will wipe your current channels and allow you to start from the beginning. Re-scan your cable channels and see if they are correct this time.

I will do that but I have already done that before I'll do it again
You are talking about where it scans to pick up all the channels right?
Actually I've done it numerous times and it's still only picks up channels that have either two digits three digits with a dash in them are four digits with the dash in them it won't pick up any of the plane three digit numbers which is what I need. Example it will pick up 1-111, 21-1, and 21. However it won't pick up one 111. Does that make sense
I have several channels that are just straight three digit numbers example channel number 827 should be a channel I can pick up.upIt won't recognize it.
I'm not sure if it matters but for some reason it's not recognizing any of the analog channels only digital. Would that make a difference?
I wonder if I ran the cable through my DVD player and connected my DVD player to the TV with a high definition cable do you think that would make a difference?
It just seems like it's not recognizing the high definition channels

There should be no analog channels for it to pickup. All of those types of channels stopped broadcasting some time ago.

Try manually adding one of your cable channels to see if it will accept it.

Okay I will try that but I'm going to have to end this now I have to fix dinner I'll be back in touch if I need to. Thanks for your help

No problem. Get back to me when you can and I will continue to research this for you and let you know if I find anything new.

Checking back to see if you tried to manually enter one of your HD channels. Let me know when you have a chance please.