Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am unable to pick up any high definition channels on my TV

Customer Question

I am unable to pick up any high definition channels on my TV but I have them through my cable company what's wrong? Actually when I scan channels it will not pick up any three digit Channel numbers without a dash
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Is your TV new and has this always been a problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not new but I'm not sure because my daughter gave it to me I don't know if she could get them or not
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Are you familiar with the setup menu and can you tell me how you have your cable service connected to the TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I was delayed in getting back to you I had to take a phone call. The cable service is connected directly to the TV and yes I'm familiar with the menu
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I might need you to call me but I just hate to have to pay another $26 I'm already paying $18 for information
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That seems somewhat excessive
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay good. Check the channel setup menu and make sure your TV is set for cable and not antenna.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Already did and it is on cable
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Good. How old is your TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not real sure but I know it's less than 6 years or so
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm pretty sure that it does have or is a high definition TV but it's looking like it won't pick up any high-definition channels when I do a channel scan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All of my high definition channels are three digit numbers without any dashes that's what it's not picking up but it should
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a smart TV flat screen so I'm sure it's fairly new
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It may not be able pickup those channels without a certain type of decoder box from your cable company. Have you checked with them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did check with my cable company and they said I did not or should not need the Box. I just looked up the system information it looks like it says February 2008
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only reason I would need the box is if it was an older TV non digital type TV it is a smart flat screen TV that I have
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Let me do a little research on your model and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it's less than 8 years old
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe 6 or 7 years old. However it is a smart TV I can access Netflix and online stuff
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Would it be possible for you to find the model number for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will try give me a second
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found 2 numbers. RV53OU and CT-90302.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if that's not them and I will look further
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It also says Regza on the TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

That is a good number. Do you have your cable connected directly to the TV cable input?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Try accessing the channel setup menu and reset it. That will wipe your current channels and allow you to start from the beginning. Re-scan your cable channels and see if they are correct this time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will do that but I have already done that before I'll do it again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You are talking about where it scans to pick up all the channels right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually I've done it numerous times and it's still only picks up channels that have either two digits three digits with a dash in them are four digits with the dash in them it won't pick up any of the plane three digit numbers which is what I need. Example it will pick up 1-111, 21-1, and 21. However it won't pick up one 111. Does that make sense
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have several channels that are just straight three digit numbers example channel number 827 should be a channel I can pick up.upIt won't recognize it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure if it matters but for some reason it's not recognizing any of the analog channels only digital. Would that make a difference?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wonder if I ran the cable through my DVD player and connected my DVD player to the TV with a high definition cable do you think that would make a difference?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It just seems like it's not recognizing the high definition channels
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

There should be no analog channels for it to pickup. All of those types of channels stopped broadcasting some time ago.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Try manually adding one of your cable channels to see if it will accept it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I will try that but I'm going to have to end this now I have to fix dinner I'll be back in touch if I need to. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

No problem. Get back to me when you can and I will continue to research this for you and let you know if I find anything new.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Checking back to see if you tried to manually enter one of your HD channels. Let me know when you have a chance please.