TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I JUST GOT ALTERNATING YELLOW DOTS ON THE BOTTOM OF MY TV…

Customer Question
I JUST GOT ALTERNATING...

I JUST GOT ALTERNATING YELLOW DOTS ON THE BOTTOM OF MY TV SCREEN. LIKE 2 YELLOW TO ONE YELLOW ON ONE SIDE THEN VICE VERSA

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Sharp Aquos 42inch LC42D65UT SN###-##-####

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV or nothing remote and all doesn't go on period, but when we first ut it on this am we heard a slight pop then a smell of electronics and ther was nothing but those dots on the bottom. However picture perfect before that, even last night, its the best TV we ever owned

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just explained, nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing thats all that happened

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
7/30/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Please try those steps and send a reply back once you've tried them.

If the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Do you need further assistance with this?

For $38 your saying unplug TV for a few hours then try to plug it in, EVEN though I said I smell electronics or the smell of electric type of wire smell coming from TV, couldn't that be dangerous or normal? To me the smell of anything like a burning electronics smells needs to be addressed more than unplug your unit. Even a FREE answer said to try and press volume down and channel down at same time to trigger a possible fix and TV would go back on, nut you say unpug for $38, $5 for a tech and then AFTER I type in my info it says $33 for when the CHAT STARTS! What chat? This is a saying at yur money amt for what you said was ridiculous especially when I stated a smell!
under terms I didn't see your number for the trial what is it?
I got free info that stated what you did, but we wanted a professional answer and yours was to unplug the TV press power for 10 seconds than plug in again? If it doesn't go on then its a $200-250 fix, just by unplugging the TV which any normal person would do? The up and down volume and channel controls pressing at same time had more to it that what you had. What's your number to call to cancel this what you call a "service"
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 6 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

My name is ***** ***** previous expert has opted out, I do understand what you are saying here however if you are to push on with this then it will mean the back of the set will need to come off and then we can begin by making a visual inspection of the power-board is this something you would be interested in doing?

I simply asked for a phone number that I didn't see under terms, and you need to give me a new agent? No Thx

OK you need to speak with customer services

1.***-***-****

I want a cancellation number please, and now if you don't mind. I simply stated what he told me for $38 I got for free
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician