Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Tv powers on then shuts off, Sharp LC-32GA5U. Probably 10

Customer Question

Tv powers on then shuts off
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sharp LC-32GA5U. Probably 10 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can't get to the menu because the tv powers on then shuts off immediately
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: its been an occasional issue for a few months, but we'd be able to unplug it, plug it back in, and it would work. As of yesterday, that doesn't work. Tried blowing the dust out of it yesterday. Worked for a while, but now the problem is back.
JA: Anything else you want the expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Let me know when you have joined our conversation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm here.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another $26???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can we just chat?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Since unplugging is not working- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here. Substantial electronics experience is required on your part.

Otherwise I'm very sorry to say that having it done by a local repair shop will cost way more than a new 32" tv. Keep in mind, they won't tell you this, they will want to charge you $99 to come out and then hand you an estimate for more than the tv is worth. So coming here first saved you lots of time and money.

I know this is bad news but I really want you to be satisfied, so before I send the rating options, I want to know if you inclined to give me 5 stars for best service or if you need something more.

Note: You should not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control.