Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have a Samsung FHD Curve TV. We had a lightening strike

Customer Question

We have a Samsung FHD Curve TV. We had a lightening strike near the house and it took out the HDMI portion of the TV, the Directv receiver, and our internet. The Directv repairman replaced the receiver and got the TV working with the AV source. Several weeks later the tv quit working completely. I was told that the tv may be able to be repaired. Is that possible?
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: We bought the tv in December. Yes, we have tried unplugging it and leaving it off for several hours.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The screen is completely black when you turn it on.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was watching tv, and suddenly the screen went black.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I can't think of anything.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What is the model number from the back of the tv?
Are you still getting sound, through the tv speakers?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the model number is ***** VERSION FA01. There has been no sound since it went black.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if purchased in december though it would be within the factory warranty period, so you can file a warranty claim at 888\899\7609 and they would send a tech out to repair it for you.

My apologies for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.