crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  10+ years
50836188

Louie, Panasonic th-42pd50u 15 years. 1 day & nothing. It

Customer Question

HI Louie,
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: panasonic th-42pd50u 15 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue with your TH-42PD50U? What happened right before this?
Customer: 1 day & nothing
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has red dots sparatically throughout the screen
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me what is connected to the TV (cable box, DVD, home theater, etc.) and tell me if ALL sources you play on the set sporadically display those dots.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cable, DVDs & wii and yes
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No call
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. When we see those dots affect ALL inputs on the set, it's caused by the Vs and Va voltages on the power supply board of the TV not being adjusted correctly, or a sagging/surging voltage regulator on the power supply board. The high voltages are what drive the Sustain boards and produce the image on the screen. In most cases this requires repairs made to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and displays normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you still there- do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Trying it again... The 1st time did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay no problem. Beyond that- if the issue still persists, then it does indicate a hardware issue and requires further testing within the TV to narrow down the root cause. That said, was this something that you're looking to repair yourself? Or were you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not work :(
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Repair myself
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay what tools and experience do you have? Do you have a multi-meter and the ability to measure live voltages?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not paying any moe money... Thank you
Expert:  crash2199 replied 2 months ago.

I apologize for the long wait for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?