Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a 3 year old LG 47LN5200 tv. The picture has a line

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old LG 47LN5200 tv. The picture has a white line across the bottom of the screen sometime the lines appears near the top of the screen in black. Every 5-10 seconds the picture gets blur as if doubled letter. About 3 seconds later it goes back to normal. I have replaced the cable box and checked all connections. I tried another tv with the same cable box and no problem. I have tried both HDMI ports and the problem still exists. Any suggestions please and thank you?
JA: How old is your 47LN5200?
Customer: 3 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: How long has this been an issue with your 47LN5200? What happened right before this?
Customer: About 3 days. No known event preceded the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

What we need to know (since the issue occurs on all Inputs- we know it's internal, it's now just a matter of finding out what internally is causing it), is IF the MENU always displays perfectly pristine and normal over the affected issue, or when the lines and blur occurs- if it also affected the MENU. Also what device/source are you using on the TV- have you tried another source like a DVD player? Also have you tried more than one HDMI cable?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Problem occurs in MENU too. Problem also occurs with DVD. I have tried several HDMI cables.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay. This does indicate a hardware failure in the set- with the two common culprits being the "T-con" board (LCD timing controller), or the Power Supply board (which has an output that feeds the T-con). There are however no pushbutton fixes for this and it does require service. That said, were you looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself, or were you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I will junk it and not buy another LG for sure. TY