Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I can't turn the tv off or control the volume. Repair

Customer Question

I can't turn the tv off or control the volume. Repair company claims they can't get parts for a 3 yr old vizio.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 yrs D650i-62
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a week
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was working fine then it wouldn't turn off
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The part that causes this is the "Mainboard" in the set (it processes the turn on/off and volume commands along with changing the Inputs). I'm searching now for a link to the replacement part- but offhand, the repair company is likely correct, as Vizio does not make more than a certain number of replacement boards before they phase out support for the set. Please standby,

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

As I had thought, new boards are no longer available for this set, however there are used/pulled options out there, and one is showing as available at the link below from a reputable parts supplier (We've used them hundreds of times in the 8 years I've been on the site), for $60 at the link below:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/vizio-d650i-b2-main-board-755-00s01-0001-748-00s03-0011-2.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnubLBRC_ARIsAASsNNnqooY-oK9lJuDCcj3Ek-2Fix1gdheomuQFRxQJWWQ7OwJ7B9Da6TUaAoYwEALw_wcB

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you're looking to save some money and perform this repair yourself, the board is "plug and play"- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver, some mechanical aptitude, and about 30 minutes of your time. Additionally there are YouTube videos that outline this repair.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry....I'm trying to understand what other info I can provide you. You came asking a pretty specific question, that I thought I answered- but you're not responding back to me in any way. Are you unable to reply?