Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv os on and off by itself. try to open the screen but it

Customer Question

my tv os on and off by itself. try to open the screen but it last on just second and turn off again
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: samsung smart tv 60 in
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: i did unpluged everything and reconnected but same problen I even called cable company and replece the box
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: one night watching tv. no warning just shut off and off
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: how to fix it
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Offhand, this issue isn't related to the cable box in any way- and it's the TV itself that has a problem. What is the full model number off of the back of the Samsung and how OLD is it?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please send a reply back to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is hard to see the model. is a 3/4 years old Sambung samrt tv 60 in
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Unfortunately these symptoms are caused by a faulty Mainboard in the TV, and requires replacement of this board to fix the issue in most cases.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Were you able to try those steps and are you having the same problem??

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. If you want to fix this yourself, I will NEED the FULL MODEL number off of the sticker on the back of the TV to look up that part for you.

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor (depending on which model 60" Samsung you have). If you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?