Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung model UN60H6350. the screen gets really light

Customer Question

My Samsung model UN60H6350. the screen gets really light when its been on for a while. you can shut it off for 30 minutes and turn it back on the picture is fine. but then half way into a movie the picture gets very light again
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: UN60H6350 3 to 4 years maybe?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv menu works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: yes its the same from tv to dvd
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can it be fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Offhand there are two potential and common causes of the screen getting light after the set's been on for a period of time. First and most likely is the power supply board in the TV- which has an output that drives the LCD controller board (called the T-con) and when this part becomes weak/intermittent- will cause the screen to lighten to an almost white hue. Secondly is the T-con board itself- which processes all signals before they're sent to the screen. To determine whether the issue is caused by the power supply board- or the T-con, a tech must measure the voltages off of the power supply board (the 12 volt line feeds the T-con) to determine if it's in spec. If it's not- the power board needs to be replaced (which is on average a $275 repair). If the voltage IS in spec however- the T-con needs to be replaced ($200). In some rare cases- this can be caused by a failing LCD panel (screen) of the TV itself (however there is no way to test the screen beyond replacing the T-con to see if that fixes the problem). If the screen is deemed faulty- the set is not repairable as the cost of the screen is 80% of the cost of the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

A minimum diagnosis charge at a shop is in the $100 range, and if you'd like- you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?