Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician
Experience:  Audio & Video Technician
98889509

Sharp LC-70LE732U. I replaced the main board and need to

Customer Question

Sharp LC-70LE732U. I replaced the main board and need to reset it. But the remote will not work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maybe 5 years old? Sharp LC-70LE732U
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV will not accept any signals from the original remote, or other remotes that were previously programmed with the TV. The original main board (which is being replaced due to all bad HDMI ports) still accepts all remote control signals.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The original main board HDMI ports all died. I bought a replacement main board. I need to reset the main board by accessing the "service menu". I can access the service menu but need the remote to be able to navigate through it and execute the reset commands.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I don't reset the main board, each time the TV is unplugged, the fast/slow blink comes back. And the TV does not accept any signals from the original TV remote or 2 other universal remotes that were previously used with the TV. If I put the original main board back in (the one with the bad HDMI ports), all the remotes work. Lastly, I have a 3rd main board that will not go into the service mode at all (i.e. - hitting the INPUT and VOL- while plugging the TV in will not take me to the "K" screen). I assume this 3rd board was dead on arrival?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

This TV has Operation Lock Out feature that can lock either control buttons on TV or remote control operation and it seems this feature is On in your new main board that should be turn Off to get the remote working.

Yes, typing info for you...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can access the menu screen by hitting the MENU button on the TV itself. In that screen, the Lock Out feature is NOT on. But maybe it needs to be undone from the Service Menu. However, since the remote does not work, I can't enable it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Turn On TV power buy hitting the INPUT and VOL- while plugging the TV in then push menu on control buttons on TV itself to get TV menu screen and go to System Option and find Operation Lock Out option, select it and turn it Off.

This change should work to get remote control operational.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, this is the only setting in TV menu that can stop remote operation.

If it is Off then I'm afraid this new main board is also faulty because there is no way around to navigate in service menu without remote to access reset option.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm afraid I already knew about the Operation Lock feature.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, let me repost this question for other experts to assist you further/ with different approach.

Thanks.

Expert:  Electrotech2017 replied 2 months ago.
Hello this is Martin, I'm happy to assist you today with your TV issue.
The Sharp TVs were notorious having remote issues due to faulty caps on the IR sensor board. I would recommend changing the IR sensor board since it is an inexpensive part
Part# *****
Available at Sharp price $8.87
Sharp Tel# *****
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Note from the previous entry that the IR sensor board works: "If I don't reset the main board, each time the TV is unplugged, the fast/slow blink comes back. And the TV does not accept any signals from the original TV remote or 2 other universal remotes that were previously used with the TV. If I put the original main board back in (the one with the bad HDMI ports), all the remotes work."
Ok, I missed that at the previous conversation. Let me research it a bit further. Have you tried to perform a firmware update via flash drive ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeap, successfully updated it. Either the "Operation Lock Out" feature is enabled through the service menu or the board is malfunctioning. I can access the Operation Lock through the normal TV Menu and manipulate it through the TV controls. But it didn't make any effect. I can't fiddle with the Operation Lock Out through the service menu since I need the remote to hit "Enter". There is no equivalent "Enter" key sequence using the TV buttons.
That is correct, I'm afraid that the Main board has a defect. Have you double checked that it is the correct Main board ? The sharp model numbers have at the end suffixes that are important to identify the correct part number.
Double check the small sticker on the right side for complete model number. If everything matches I'm positive you have a bad Mainboard.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's correct, the same "FM24S".
What does the complete model number say on the sticker ? Or better can you send me a picture of the sticker ?
Are you able to send me the picture ?