Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My TV set has been off for 10 months. The Direct TV is

Customer Question

My TV set has been off for 10 months. The Direct TV is activated but I can't get the TV set to turn on.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Sanyo This is the first time this happened.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu does not turn on because the tv doesn't come on. I tried plugging it into a different plug.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I told you. The TV has not been in use for 10 months.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Are you near the tv now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is in a different room from the computer. I will have to go back and forth.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

When you plug in the POWER cord, does the power LED on the front of the tv come on or blink?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to pay extra. I can type.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The power light does not come on on the TV. The Direct TV box indicates tht it is on.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

What is the model number printed on the back of the tv? If you can't get it, what size is the tv screen? Is it LED or LCD or Plasma or....

How long have you had the tv / what is the approximate purchase date?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I attempt to turn on the TV using the Direct TV remote something flicks momentarily on the remote.
When I attempt to turn on the TV on the TV itself, it does not come on,
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is model number DS25320, I think it about 5 years old. I'll try to find the receipt.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

Receipt not needed...

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced that will cost more than a new 25 inch tv. Keep in mind, a local repair shop won't tell you this, they will want to charge you $99 to come out and then hand you an estimate for more than the tv is worth. So coming here first saved you lots of time and money.

I know this is bad news but I really want you to be satisfied, so before I send the rating options, I want to know if you inclined to give me 5 stars for best service or if you need something more.

Note: You should not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found the original receipt dated 2003. It is a lot older than I thought, I will go directly to the person from whom I purchased it, so could you refund my $5.00?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

2003... Tv's come with a 1 year warranty. You won't get any help from them. Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
With a TV this old, I will probably need to get a new one, but you could not solve my problem so I want my deposit back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would not have the repair person come out. I would discuss the options with the person that sold me the TV 14 years ago. Please refund my deposit.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you disconnected?
Expert:  crash2199 replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that you had to wait a while for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?