Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

My television has trouble with the audio. It skips over

Customer Question

My television has trouble with the audio. It skips over words.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Samsung and about 6 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, the menu is not working.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I would say it's been like this for most of today. I don't recall any particular thing happening before.
JA: Anything else you want the expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing has changed It still skips over words.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please elaborate. Did you try a DVD player as asked?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Or is the only thing connected to the TV a cable box? We need to be able to rule whether your cable box or your TV is causing the problem- as it's a hardware issue either way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is the phone number.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Note that the site will send you a phone call offer- that is NOT from me. It is sent without my consent and I am not available by phone. To see MY REPLY, "X" out of the offer and view the page that we have been typing on. Also note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is the correct number.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me what device the TV is connecting to in order to get audio?

Please let me know

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Thanks