TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I can't get it to actually show anything I am inputting- I

Customer Question
I can't get it to...
I can't get it to actually show anything I am inputting- I just get a blue screen. I've reset it to the factory settings and the sample audio video things will rub, but nothing from outside the tv.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 48" 1080p LED Unisen 164. Bought in Aug. 2010
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes to both. I've tried things that work off our other TV, to no avail. I can switch inputs, & when I add one, it recognizes it, but won't transmit picture or sound.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We had house sitters last week - they said it worked as usual for the Dish TV and XBox, then one day it was blue when they turned it on. Prior to that, we had a thing we thought was with the satellite... but maybe nit? We would change a channel ans get a black screen until we turned it off ans back on.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
7/25/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What connections are you using here? Hdmi for everything?
If so, can you test the composite/component connections or antenna and see if those work?

HDMI for everything, and I've tested the wires with another TV to verify my HDMI cables are good. I'm not sure what a composite/component connection is. Is that like the old-school antenna cable that would screw in?
The only screw in type cable coming in to the house goes to part of the DirectTV set up, so while I found the screw type inset on the TV, I don't know what to connect with it.

Screw on is the coax,

composite is red/white/yellow,

component is red/green/blue. Your dtv box probably has one of those colored connections available.

should I try the coax from the cable box straight into the TV?
you can test that though it would be preferable to used the colored rca cords instead.
I tried composite from the DTV box to the TV, no result. Video was yellow, the audios were red and white. I don't have a little no enough coax to try. I was able to pair my phone's Bluetooth with it, and it played both music and audio from a movie trailer, but no video picture.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for checking,

bluetooth would not work for video in this case, so that part is normal.

You are able to see the tvs own menu screens, and input list still, correct?

that is correct. I used the menu to do a reset to factory settings- no change. I also can see things I add or subtract come and go from the input list.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Well, I tried the unplugging thing and still no luck. Can you suggest a brand that has great sound options? It's a big room with a vaulted ceiling, so the sound settings were our favorite part of this particular model when we got it bc we didn't have to do a separate set of speakers around the room.
While some are better than others there is no tv with great sound. For overall quality go with lg Panasonic or Samsung. All modern flat screens though have mediocre sound and will not fill a space like that. The speakers are all just too small and under powered. You really need to supplement the tv with an external sound system like a sound bar or theater system.
Nathan, Installer