TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

NO RECEPTION ON HDMI PORTS, TH-58PE75U, MENU WORKS, ANTENNA…

NO RECEPTION ON HDMI...

NO RECEPTION ON HDMI PORTS

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?

TH-58PE75U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

MENU WORKS, ANTENNA INPUT OK, DVD TO COMPONANT INPUT OK, ROKU TO HDMI NOTHING

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

JUST GOT ROKU, FIRST TIME TRYING

7/23/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Have you successfully used the HDMI ports on this TV in the past (with a cable box, DVD player, etc.)?

Also are you able to actually SELECT them as the Input- or does the Input skip right by them?

never used them, can select using input, can rename them in setup, etc

Okay, if you can select them and there's nothing showing on the screen, then you either have faulty/non working HDMI ports or you have a bad HDMI cable from Roku to TV (unless you're using a Roku stick of course). So that said- is this the Roku stick, or a box? Also, can you try giving the port you're using a NAME and then seeing if you can use it?

Are you still with me here?

switched to a different cable that was working on different tv. named it, still no signal
Roku box

What happens with the other HDMI port on the TV- same thing?

same thing

Okay, give me a minute to look into this. The issue is either the TV's resolution, or the HDMI ports are faulty (which was not uncommon with this model- even if they were not used). Please stand by.

ok

Which model Roku is this please? (Roku 2, 3, 4, Premiere, XS, etc.)?

Roku 3

Okay thanks. The resolution on the Roku 3 is 720P by default and your TV is 720P max. So it's not a resolution issue- it's actually an HDMI issue on the TV itself with no quick fixes. This set had many issues with the 5 volt bus on the mainboard which powers the HDMI ports failing prematurely and this requires replacement of the mainboard to fix the issue. If you're looking to repair this yourself the mainboard can be purchased below for $100 for your set:

https://gopartserv.com/products/panasonic-tnph0692ads-main-unit?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=10490238724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwktHLBRDsARIsAFBSb6zL4smiK4TADH5VGN2m_cNeEzalDusXkRWPQv3JBb0Zc18j4fw8mu8aAnNsEALw_wcB

A shop would charge $300 parts and labor for this type of repair- which is not cost effective in my opinion. A suitable workaround would be to return this Roku if possible and instead purchase the Roku "Express" which has HDMI as well as standard AV connections with which to connect to older TV's. That will solve the issue for the least cost:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus

Aric, Technician
sounds good, thank you for your help

You're welcome and best of luck.