Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Vizio E470VA mfg Oct 2010 located in my living

Customer Question

I have a Vizio E470VA mfg Oct 2010 located in my living room. I was playing PS4 Pro on HDMI3 as it was working fine. I then changed the game. The new game required me to update the system. I did so. It had me do another update (it had been a while since I played). After the 2 updates I played the game. There was no sound coming from the TV, just a buzzing noise. I thought it was the game settings so I messed with them. It did nothing. Then when I was done, I tuned the TV to HDMI1 for DirecTV. That's when I realized it was the TV. So I took the TV out of my daughters bedroom and it works fine on the 3 devices all hooked up through HDMI ports, so I know it's the TV. I tried all the basics. Good connections, settings are fine (I even reset them), unplugged the TV, held down the power button for 30 seconds while unplugged, and changed outlets. I don't have any devices that can hookup through coax port or RCA, so I'm not sure if it's something with the HDMI. Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you tried feeding the TV's L and R AUDIO IN jacks with a sound source? ...using a 3.5mm-to-RCA say from a mobile phone headphone jack?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not. I don't have the adapter
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

How about a regular RCA-to-RCA cable?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do, but none of my devices have RCA jacks
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

If 1 end is connected to the TV jacks, touching the center pin only of the free end plug should produce a thump and/or humming sound from the Vizio speaker(s). This would test (at least the analog) audio circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
touch the pin of the red and white together?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Yes please; both or 1 after the other. The idea is to use your touch to send a 60Hz hum.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing happens
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Sorry; re-confirm; TV INPUT set to AV or COMPONENT? ...volume level all the way up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
TV on component, max volume, touched each pin then both at the same time .. nothing
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll be doing it myself. I do have a multi-meter, although I believe last time I used it, it went haywire. I can borrow one from a friend though. I'm not fully familiar with them. Just the basic voltage reading. But I'm a very fast hands on learner. And yes I do have a soldering iron.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

The prescribed approach is to run tests; i.e. voltage measurements, compare with expected readings from the schematics/Service Manual, determine most likely suspect component, test out-of-circuit, replace, test again.

Or take a blind swing and replace the whole board.