Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am so frustrated. My tv is showing upside down and I don't

Customer Question

Good evening I am so frustrated. My tv is showing upside down and I don't know how to fix it.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Please help me
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the remote works and I have the same problem on all sources
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for about 2 weeks.
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: I can't remember what happened Let me give you the make and model
Category: TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The tv is a TCL 40FD2700 40-inch 1080p LED TV (2015 Model)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please also give me a phone number for you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does this issue affect the menu screens as well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. It doesn't
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will that be an additional $26.00?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you call me, would that be an additional $26.00.?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

That is correct, a call is an additional fee, it is not in place of the initial chat cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to switch to a phone call. I cannot afford to, I don't have much money. I will continue the service using this method
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I'm happy to continue here,

so to be clear, the tcl menu screens show up correctly, but the picture behind it is upside down?
If so, does that happen for everything (cable/satellite, dvd, games/apps, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The picture is upside down all the time. With all applications DVD and cable.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These TCL tvs are some of the lowest quality sets on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at most.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds

4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you for your help. Please tell me the amount charged to my card.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

You're very welcome!

We're all independent techs here, so I can't see the amount from my end, but it would have been shown on the payment page, or when done here you can click on Account and see it there under history. For comparison purposes, had you gone to a repair shop or called a tech out on site, they would have charged you at least $125 for the exact same information.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Nathan. My son's name is***** there a risk in turning the tv upside to watch it? I mean if there is a risk of the tv catching afire or shocking?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

No, that would be a possible workaround. It won't sit very nicely on a surface, but if you were to wall mount it in that orientation it would be fine. It would not hurt anything to have it upside down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello I must admit that I am extremely dissatisfied with the service you guys provided. I called the company where I bought my tv and they walked me through a process which enabled me to fix my tv and it is working fine. I am requesting an immediate refund for the money you charged me. You did not help me in fact you informed me that there was nothing I could have done to get my TV fixed. I consider your expertise to be mediocre and I kindly asking for a refund immediately.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

I'm glad to hear it is working for you. Perhaps there were additional details to the problem of which I was unaware. Based on the information provided here, it is not possible.

You may go to the Account page to request a refund.