Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a flat screen TV and I cannot get my Magnavox DVD/VCR

I have a flat screen TV and I cannot get my Magnavox DVD/VCR to play. What am I doing wrong. Thanks! *****: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Vizio M55-D0. It's about a year old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can access Dish, on Sat. When I try Aux or Input on the controller, nothing happens
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This is the first time I have tried to use the DVD/VCR player, since I've owned the Vizio. It worked fine on my old TV. I suspect a connection issue
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Upon completion of our chat, you will be asked to rate my service. Please understand that this is the only way I am ever compensated by this site. Please do not rate me until you are completely satisfied. It is in my best interest to completely fix your issue so that I may be compensated.

Ok then. Here we go.

Can you tell me exactly how you have the DVD/VCR connected to the TV?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
VCR/DVD output to TV red to red white to white and yellow to yellow on Vizio

Ok, let me look at the Vizio manual for a moment. I'll be back.

Where is the yellow jack on a D55-D0?

You need to connect the yellow from the DVD to the GREEN on the side of the Vizio.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK my bad; it is connected yellow to green

Hmmm...I'm not sure this TV can accommodate a composite connection (RWY).

Hold on and let me look.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, Steve

Yes. This TV does not have a Composite connection. CLICK HERE for a screenshot of the product page.

Does your DVD/VCR have any other means of connection?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Steve, on side of the Vizio there is a button labelled INPUT. I pushed this until COMP came up and bingo, it works

Ok, initially you told me that you had gone through the inputs so I had ruled that out. I'm glad you have it working.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, Steve! For whatever reason the input button on the remote wasn't working. Now that I used the button on the TV, both work fine. Go figure. Have a good weekend! Rick