TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I'm trying to cut the cord with satellite tv, and I've

I'm trying to cut the...
I'm trying to cut the cord with satellite tv, and I've purchased an antenna for local programs but am having a problem getting it set up. I first called the company for the antenna, but she suggested I try the tv.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Vizio 39 Tesla??
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Model E 400i-B2
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have also set up Sling and I can access that no problem.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
7/20/2017
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What type of problems are you having?

I can turn on the tv with the Vizio remote and with the Input button I can select "antenna", I then get a screen showing "antenna", but then after a few seconds I get a screen that says "no signal".

First, do you have the antenna connected to the proper input on the back of the TV? If so, you will need to access the setup menu on the TV and do a channel scan so the TV can find and program the available channels.

I do have the antenna conneted, but I can't get past the input to get to the setup menu.

What type of antenna do you have?

RCA Amplified indoor HDTV antenna with 4K

Do you have it connected to the silver connector with the threads on the back of the TV?

Okay just checking to make sure. Do you also have the antenna plugged into an AC outlet?

I do

Okay. What type of an area do you live in? Trees, hills, buildings, etc?

In a regular neighborhood, with trees. I do have a clear sight of the transmission towers on the mountains and have the antenna pointed in that direction.

Okay. Make sure your TV is set for antenna or over the air when you attempt to scan and not cable. If that does not work, then return the antenna and exchange it.

Just to clarify - how do you set the tv for antenna. Isn't that with the input button?

No. When you first turn it on you should be in the setup guide?

No, I don't get the setup guide.

Of First Time Setup. As you move through the setup you will eventually come to the type of signal you want. Make sure you select Antenna.

Just unplugged the tv and turned it on again and still do not get the setup guide.

Okay, then press the menu button on the remote and see if there is a tuner option you can select.

Anything?

OK progress. I'm doing the channel scan.

Was it set for antenna?

No.. I have to fess up

No problem. As long as we get it working for you.

Thanks. It's working now.

Glad to hear it. Please remember to rate my service and have a nice day!

Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Dan was very patient with me and stayed until I got my situation working. Very pleased.
Dan, Broadcast Engineer