TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I own a JVC 56fc97 HD ILA projection tv. The tv is 10 years

Hello, I own a JVC...
Hello, I own a JVC 56fc97 HD ILA projection tv.
The tv is 10 years old. Recently the picture would have distorted vertical lines through the whole screen. We would be watching tv in the morning and everything is fine, for 10 minutes then the lines would appear. We turn off the tv and then back on and the screen is fine. Then the same thing would happen. Basicly we watch the tv in the evening and the lines do not appear. I just took the back off the tv to clean all of the dust out hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not. Seeing if there is something else I need to look at to fix the problem. Thank you.
7/20/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • consider/try force ventilating the JVC HD-56FC97 with a fan;
  • • even if just for test purposes, plug the projection TV into another outlet / separate electrical circuit;
  • • consider a line conditioner/filter;
  • • turn off any other electrical/electronic devices near/around the TV.
I tried them all except the line filter. It still gets the lines periodically.

Unfortunately and for some reason, the picture(s) would not show up.

Still, please consider / try the line filter/conditioner. It would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

Here is a close up of the lines on the screen. I tried the filter and the lines still showed up. We would watch the tv and the lines show up at random times. Sometimes after 10 minutes sometimes after 2 hours. We would turn off the tv for a minute and the picture would be fine. Sometimes the lines would reappear later in the day or would not appear for the rest of the day. When using the tv remote, the menu would be distorted as well. I tried different inputes and the lines would still be there as well.

Sorry to hear of this.

Is the issue consistent on any / all (types of) inputs?

Have you tried to gray scale the JVC HD-56FN97?

Unfortunately, it would appear to be an internal hardware issue or more particularly a panel / video output concern.

Are you then considering to attempt a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

I have a meter. Here are some pix from inside. Please let me know what to test.
20170801_112956.jpg2017080...jpg20170801_114946.jpg2017080...jpg20170801_115026_001.jpg2017080...jpg20170801_115154.jpg2017080...jpg20170801_115222.jpg2017080...jpg20170801_115228.jpg2017080...jpg

Do the MENU show with the lines? ...or clear with no distortion?

with lines

Unfortunately, this may then be indicative of a failing light engine.

Still, do you have a copy of the Service Manual?

And have you tried the Troubleshooting / Self Check Feature?

I did not see one, I did a factory reset

Which specific model; HD56FN97 or 56fc97?

Do you have this Service Manual in electronic form?

Nice pix of the family.

And can you please upload your copy?

• if less than 5MB, click HERE;
  • if more, upload to Dropbox and post back with the link.

Thanks.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82702/Jvc-Hd-56fc97.html
Here is a pdf

Unfortunately, this is just the User's Guide, not the repair / Service Manual.

http://www.clubdediagramas.com/archivo/tv-proyeccion-a224/jvc-m1361/jvc-ra2-chassis-hd56fc97-projection-tv-smpdf-f46740.html

Yes an RA2 chassis; on the Service Manual, please see p.35 for the Troubleshooting / self check feature.

It is not showing up on my phone, what does it say

The Troubleshooting section is 3 pages with illustration.

Perhaps it would be best to download completely for referencing. The complete Service Manual is 289 pages / 44MB in size.

Of particular interest would be the tests on pp.36 & 37 for the DD and the D-ILA circuits.

But then again, this particular chassis has a history of light engine issues.

Louie, Technician
Thank you for your help, we decided just to go with a new tv

Great! Good to hear of the upgrade, congratulations.

Louie, Technician