Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a old Panasonic Plasma TV model TH-42PD25. The model

I have a old Panasonic Plasma TV model TH-42PD25.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The model is TH-42PD25. it is 12 1/2 years old . It works perfectly.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Except a couple days ago the imput will change without touching the remote. It will go from HDMI tp antenna to comp 1 to comp 2 , etc. I called the cable compamy they say it is not their box.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the imput changes by itself it might come back to HDMI in a few minutes or not for awhile.

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

There are two things that can cause this let me know when you are on-line please by replying in the box below

Any pop up messages you may see are sent by the site not me, I am only available by chat myself (typing here)however if you take the phone call option another tech on the phone team may help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you,
I am online. what is best chat or should I call?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lets try this first. If necessary I can call later. I already paid $5.00 for this

I am only available using the chat, what you need to do first is TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT of the remote and note if it still changes input (the remote could be transmitting erroneously)let me know about this first please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what remote the original or the cable tv remote?

The remote that actually changes the INPUTs it could be either or both if both take batteries out of both then note how the set behaves

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK,
I have taken the batteries out of both remotes. BUT, currently the TV is fine. All this started about 4 days ago. then the TV was fine for 2 days before it happened again. the OK for a day. Then last night after being for about 1 1/2 hours it happened again, and after about 10 minutes it came back to HDMI and was fine for 10 minutes. Then the imputs began changing again over and over, after about 45 minutes I shut off the TV. This morning before work it was fine for the 15 minutes I had it on. Now tonight it is now fine.

OK I totally understand that its intermittent, the second thing that is common for causing this is oxidized switches on the set itself in your case the one for switching INPUTs on the set itself, the workaround for that is to disconnect the function board on the set itself, so the back comes off and you pull out the lead that feeds that board that contains the volume\channel change and input buttons on the set itself do you understand what I have indicated so far?

Once the function board is disconnected those buttons wont work on the set itself however they are seldom used anyhow you just continue using the remote, the function board can be replaced of course at a later date

Let me know if you need more help

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I know what lead, and what board it is? Is it behind the buttons on the tv

Yes its directly behind the buttons on the TV you will see one lead feeding it, just pull it out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just looked at the buttons and I noticed that the menu button seems to be pressed in. It does not stick out like the other buttons. I have not used these buttons in a long time as you said
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How and where would I get a function board?

If it was the menu button then the menu would be coming up all the time , you have the set switching inputs so its the input button to blame, I have also had the channel and volume buttons do this, its usually because the climate the set is in may be humid?but not necessarily

You will need to get the partnumber from the board itself and google it, it may not be available now

My suggestion is a workaround as the buttons are seldom used

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have a imput button but I have a TV/ viddeo button is that the one?

Partnumbers may be different even in the same model set so this is the way it has to be done

Yes that will be the input button

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK thanks I will try it if or when it starts again.. as for now after I get to the channel I want I will take out the batteries.

Yes that check is simply to eliminate the remote control as the cause

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK I SHALL DO IT NOW

Any issues just come directly back here, do not open any new questions thanks,

Thank You for the rating

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I come back to here?

You prob wont have to but if you do just bookmark this page

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK THANKS

Your Welcome