TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We had a lightning storm last night and we lost signal but…

We had a lightning...

We had a lightning storm last night and we lost signal but tv was still working. This morning when we trie to power on tv it did not power back on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

Vizio model e420vl 2010.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No TV won't power on. Had similar problem in 2013, when we had to get main PCB/Mother board replaced. Mother board TV in other room is working.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just won't power on today. Last night after storm I was able to power TV off and on but had a 'No Signal' message in middle of otherwise black screen.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?

Not that I can think of... already tried unplugging TV and help power buttons or 10 seconds, before plugging back in and attempting to power on..no luck.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/16/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Are you with the tv right now?

can we just do it this way please?

When you plug in the power cord, what happens?

-relay click

-power LED comes on or blinks or

When you press power button, what happens?

-relay click

-power LED comes on or blinks or

when power cord is unplugged orange Vizio light on front of tv goes off completely and does not blink

Not concerned with what happens when you unplug it. Rather when you PLUG it in.

when tv is plugged in orange Vizio light (bottom of tv casing) comes on and does not blink. Cannot power tv on however

That's not good. I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. In this case the Main board. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here. Some experience is required on your part.

Otherwise I'm very sorry to say that having it done by a local repair shop will cost more than a new 42" tv. Keep in mind, they won't tell you this, they will want to charge you $99 to come out and then hand you an estimate for more than the tv is worth. So coming here first saved you lots of time and money.

I know this is bad news but I really want you to be satisfied, so before I send the rating options, I want to know if you inclined to give me 5 stars for best service or if you need something more.

Note: You should not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control.

Did you get the message I just posted?

Are you going to DIY ?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

No thank you... we were afraid that's what it was. Appreciate you confirming it, however. No, we willl not be repairing ourselves. Thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome.

Please do submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am at least recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Thanks

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician