Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

A thunderstorm came through and everything else works but my

Customer Question

A thunderstorm came through and everything else works but my TV will not turn on, is there a fuse that might've been blown within the TV A thunderstorm came through and everything else works but my TV will not turn on, is there a fuse that might've been blown within the TV
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: E65, Vizio
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV will not come on, I push the power button and the remote
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has never been a problem and a thunderstorm came through and we went to dinner came home and went to turn on the TV and we get nothing
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Are there currently any signs of life on the Vizio at all (power light lit or blinking- screen flashes- even for a second, etc.)? Also how long have you owned the Vizio for roughly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get no signs of life, we bought it in January
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. This is somewhat common with Vizio sets and in many cases points to a premature power supply board failure.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (located on the lower left hand rear corner of the set), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just tried this and it did not work
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately that is all you can try on a user level, and offhand I didn't have high hopes for this. Your TV has a premature hardware failure and requires repairs- this is very common with newer Vizio sets and due to their buyout just less than two years ago. There are no pushbutton fixes for this and the set requires repairs. Given it's still under warranty your next step would be to contact Vizio and start a warranty repair ticket on the set.

VIZIO:

Vizio TV Warranty Information. You can contact Vizio support at 1-***-***-****. They offer a “limited” one year parts and labor warranty as long as the product was purchased new from an authorized Vizio reseller. The repair and replacement of your TV will be at the sole discretion of Vizio.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?