Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Had a thunder storm. TV lost cable signal. I am able to pick

Customer Question

Had a thunder storm. TV lost cable signal. I am able to pick up picture but still not getting cable signal.cable box has been checked out.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG476100-UG
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works. tried to Auto program but not picking up channels from cable.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Since thunder storm. Lightening struck nearby. TV has picture on a local channel and AVG input works. Just not cable. TV is not recognizing cable input.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a novice. So can't think of anything. Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

- Is the Cable Box connected into HDMI input of TV?
- If so, can you try another video source such as DVD player into HDMI input to verify the TV?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
cable box has been cheked. It is working. DVD is also working.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

We need to verify the TV HDMI input, can you connect a DVD player in HDMI input of TV, playback a disc to see if TV shows DVD picture?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
DVD player has no input for HDMI
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Any other video source will work, for example a gaming console, bluray etc

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't have anything else.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

ah OK, since cable box is working on other TV then it would be TV internal issue and mostly HDMI processor chip got damaged due to static charge of lightning, this processor chip is mounted on main board of TV so you would need to replace main board of TV to fix the problem. Please check with following board supplier to view main board image and price info by entering correct TV model number in search bar if you have plan to do it yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I simply change HDMI ports.
O
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

I'm afraid no, this type of circuit board isn't suppose to be repaired on component level nor required spare parts are available for that repair.