Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

E400i-B2 and it will not turn on. It just quit. everything

Customer Question

E400i-B2 and it will not turn on. It just quit. everything else is working, all plugs are secure, etc. When the remote on is pressed the cable box turns on, and the light at the bottom left on the TV comes on briefly, then goes out. When the on/off switch on the TV itself is depressed, the same thing happens. Any suggestions other than expensive repairs?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Vizio E400i-B2
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV will not turn on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was on and I believe I had shut it off to do errands, then wouldn't turn back on.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Like I said the plugs are all secure and the cable box turns on as usual, just not TV.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These vizio tvs are built to meet a certain price point, not for reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two, so this set is actually beyond what would be expected of a vizio product.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a better quality brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,