TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Vizio Smart tv and it will not power up. The power

I have a Vizio Smart...
I have a Vizio Smart tv and it will not power up. The white power button will stay on for just a second or two and then fades out. I am not able to use either the remote (which I haven't for awhile now), but now it won't let me power up manually. I followed all the instructions, unplugged everything and waited. Then plugged back in. The white light seemed to stay on a bit longer (maybe another second or two), but then it went out. I even tried leaving everything unplugged and off for several hours. No luck. One confession: I did leave the tv on a couple of nights on a "no signal" channel (I do not have cable), and it would automatically turn off at some point. I don't know if this could affect it or not. My set isn't that old and may still be under warranty. I'm not sure -- got it at Walmart a couple of years ago. Thanks Shelba Bownds
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about two years old, Model E43-C2, Serial # LWZ2SEAR2305403. I am not at home so can't really try any tricks until this evening. Thanks.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The screen does not even come on, so nothing seems to be working. I can't even get the input button to change anything -- just blank screen. When I press the power button, the white light just comes on for a couple of seconds and then fades out.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing has popped up. I just tried to turn it on manually earlier this week (I think Tuesday), and got nothing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: The only "odd" thing I have done is when I get sleepy and don't want to get up and manually turn the tv off, I switched to a non-active channel and the tv would automatically shut itself off after a time. How long? I don't know, cuz I go right to sleep and it's off when I get up the next morning. Usually, I would only have to press the power button and it would come on.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2017
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

Do you have any idea how long it will be before you get back to me? Just curious. SB

Sorry seemingly my relies got stuck so sorry for that, at the moment do you have any powerlight at all?

As I mentioned earlier, I am not at home today until after 5:00 p.m. I don't even know what powerlift is. I am 69 years old and not very techy.
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

I'll send you some information here now to get you started, and you can try it out when you are home then follow up with me here at your convenience.

Sounds good - sending to my email or here?
Will I have to pay additional if there are further questions? How late can you be reached?

Here on the chat, though you may get a notification in your email as well.

No you won't have to pay more, your chat fee already paid covers our conversation here. It would only be more if you wanted to add a phone call for example.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These vizio tvs are built for a certain price point, not for reliability. It is normal and expected for them to last just a year or two.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer