Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am trying to connect my LG 55UH615A tv to my Harman Kardon

I am trying to connect my LG 55UH615A tv to my Harman Kardon avr 20 ii
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: What does that have to do with connecting them to one another?:
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu does work
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just started
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: no

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed?

...or is there a cable box or even a satellite receiver used with the LG?

If the latter, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is connected to a directv box

....using what kind of cable(s) please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

And would the DirecTV receiver have a pair of red & white RCA cables for AUDIO OUT Left & Right?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it does not

Sorry, that should be "...pair of red & white RCA jacks for AUDIO OUT L & R at the back..."

In no RCA jacks for audio out, then an add-on/external device would be needed to extract the audio to feed the h/k AVR20ii.

Would information on this device plus potential online source serve your need?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure

The proposed device is an analog Audio Extractor. This device is placed between the h/k and the LG (hence another HDMI cable would also be needed).

As its name implies, it samples the HDMI signal and 'tap' the digital audio, extract it and convert it to analog Left and Right. These Left and Right then is fed to an unused input RCA pair of the AVR20ii such as the TV/AUX jacks using a pair of red & white RCA-to-RCA cable (except PHONO).

Please click HERE for some among others.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This solution did not work

Sorry to hear of this.

Please post back with clear pictures of the extractor device and the cables connected to it. Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Attached are the pictures

Is the HDMI cable to the extractor device from the DirecTV receiver?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is plugged into the arc port on the tv

Have you tried connecting the extractor from the HDMI port of the DirecTV receiver?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The box has 1 hdmi connection which is connected to the tv

Please try:

• HDMI output port of the DirecTV receiver to the HDMI IN of the audio extractor device;
  • HDMI OUT of the audio extractor device to an HDMI input port of the TV.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That worked

Great! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only issue is the configuration only plays the tv shows....when I attempt to use an app there is no sound....only the show on tv

Not surprising as a known common issue with Internet based A/V signals. The TV is not able to convert audio streaming to digital/HDMI compliant format (ARC) nor digital Optical audio.

This is a hardware limitation.

In some other models, the workaround is to use an analog AUDIO OUT jacks of the TV or in some others, the headphones jack. To my understanding, North American versions has neither. Can you please verify?