TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a model wd50ut4490 and all of a sudden there is a

Customer Question
female voice that reads the...
I have a model wd50ut4490 and all of a sudden there is a female voice that reads the description of shows we try to watch. Can't figure out how to turn off.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Model WD50Ut4490, six months old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can open the menu with no problem as far as I can tell. Just can't find anything in the menu to turn off the voice
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was fine when we went to the store. When we came home our son was watching tv and then left to go to a friends house. When we turned it to Netflix it started talking.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
7/13/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does this happen using your tv remote, or your cable/satellite remote?

TV remote
No thank you.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish. As I cannot see those offers, please focus on communicating here via the chat instead if that is your preference.

If you are certain you are using the westinghouse remote when this happens, you'll need to use the tv remote to press the MENU button to get into the setup menu there under options you should see Accessibility, and from there you'll find Voiceover or Descriptive Text, which you'll set to OFF.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,

In the setup menu there is no option for accessibility. I have tried looking for SAP and can't find that either.

Is it happening only on netflix? Or on tv channels too?

We don't have tv service and only watch Netflix and hulu.

This is not a SAP function it is a descriptive text function meant to announce background activities for the blind and visually impaired.

Look in the subtitles/captions section of the actual apps, meaning within netflix directly.

Ok

Thanks

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer