Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My 50'' Samsung TV, model code: UN50EH5300FXZA is working

Customer Question

My 50'' Samsung TV , model code: UN50EH5300FXZA is working fine except there's no picture. This happened just a week ago. The picture does returns intermittently. Now it doesn't seem to return at all...just perfect audio and a blue screen... no picture at all.
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: No...
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
None except powering on the TV as usual.
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

A blue screen would indicate 'video muting'; i.e. the TV does not sense a usable video signal fed to it.

Is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed? ...or is there a cable box or even a sattelite receiver?

If the latter, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Have you checked / replaced these cable(s) ?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No i'm a handicapped Vetnam vet and can't afford that $26.00 dollar fee just to talk to you only. i might need it to pay to get my TV repaired. Let's stick with email or texting.
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated-systems / machine-generated followups, ads & offers.

As posted above:

• Is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed?
  • ...or is there a cable box or even a sattelite receiver?
  • If the latter, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).
  • if so, have you checked / replaced these cable(s) ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have an antenna and it works beautifully.
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

IF the TV is directly connected to an antenna but there is only sound with blue screen, THEN the TV has an (internal) hardware issue aprticularly with the tuner circuitry.

Would the MENU and VOLUME level still display correctly?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can't see the menu, but the volume works very well...with or without the picture
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Based on the above, the most likely suspect would be the main board.

Depending on the version, it would be Part Number BN94-07162W, BN97-06298Z or BN94-06882C or some other. Rule of thumb is to order/replace only with an identically numbered board.

Please click HERE. This would give you an idea of the cost of refurbished, used and/or pull-out replacement boards.

A more reliable source (depending on availability) would be ShopJimmy HERE.

Based on the prices of the suspected faulty board, then repairs would seem economically reasonable.

It may be the service fee that would be of a concern depending on the going rate in your location.

...thus would information on independent repair shops serve your need?

Not unless you are considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok...
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Please click HERE to inquire/request for quotes on their service fees.
Select your state/location.
And/or key in your Zip Code.
Then click on the Submit button.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How much to repair it and what's the cost of the main boards you mentioned? Do you repair in home? What's the cost of an in home repair as compared to in shop repair?
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Board prices differ among online sellers. Please click / tap HERE.

Repair / service fee also varies among these shops. Click / tap HERE to inquire.

Cost of on-site/home repair would be more compared to in-shop.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No i'm definitely not a do it yourself person at all. I need an expert like you to repair my TV.
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Please see above / earlier replies.

Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You can't give me a ball park idea of the cost factor at all...?
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Board price 30 ~ 55 USD.

in-shop Service Fee 150 ~ 250 USD

...compared to new TVs starts at around 500 USD.