Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My LG42N5700 SMART 120hz LED HDTV was purchased in 11/2013.

Customer Question

My LG42N5700 SMART 120hz LED HDTV was purchased in 11/2013. Worked fine until yesterday. Now cycles on/off in about 3-5 second intervals. Only way to stop that is to unplug. What's going on??
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: Yes, I'm fine. Can you help me? Can this be fixed?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the HDTV's exact make and model?
Customer: Receipt says LG 42LN5700 Smart 120hz LED HDTV and it also has 3D.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The set will not stay on long enough to change the channel. Have changed batteries in the remote. Have tried using the controls on the side of the TV, all to no avail.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The set was on Netflix yesterday for about 2 hrs with no trouble. Switched to local channels using antenna, OK for about 30 mins. Began to cycle on/off in about 3-5 second intervals. I was unable to turn the TV off using the remote or side control. I turned off all power to all the electronics associated with the TV. Same problem when it was repowered. When power is re established, the set comes on (with out using a control) and then cycles on and off over and over
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Ask me some questions. I think I have told you everything.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

- Does TV show any thing on screen (LG logo etc) while it stay On?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It initially shows LG logo, then programming for the channel it's on. Will not respond to trying to change the channel either by remote or by controls on side of set.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

OK, how long the TV stays On?

5 second or more?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No more than 5 seconds at a time. Sometimes less before cycling off again.
By the way, I did not agree to that $35.00 fee and have been charged $35.71 by this company without my permission. Refund that, please.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Please contact customer service via help link on main page of website for any billing issue, I have no control over such things, I'm just a site user like you.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you help with the TV problem?
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

Yes, if you're agree on question price because this is pay per question/ answer website.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have paid 3.88 for the answer to this. Based on all the info I've given, What's wrong with my TV?
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 months ago.

It seems you paid 3.88 to post the question and agreed on 38.00 for answer, please contact customer service via help link on main page of website for any billing issue, once satisfied then come back here and we will continue troubleshooting the TV problem.

Thanks.