TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung 535 60-in. plasma TV; 4.5 years old. Was

working fine until this morning...
I have a Samsung 535 60-in. plasma TV; 4.5 years old. Was working fine until this morning. There is no picture but sound; I inspected for cracks, there are none. There is no faint picture when on. When we press the remote (or the manual override on the TV), there is no clicking sound that we usually get when we turn the TV on. I have unplugged everything and reconnected and the problem persists. The TV is connected to a PS4, an Apple TV3 and a Denon surround sound receiver.
7/9/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Can you get the full model number off the back of the tv please?

PN60E530A3F

You mentioned unplugging everything. Did you unplug the tv POWER cord for at least 3 minutes? What is the power LED on the front of the tv doing? on or off or blinking or

Unplugged, but not for three minutes. The red light is on, but not blinking.

Maybe you can try unplugging for 3 minutes now?

Ok, I'll do that and give you a status report.

Thanks

No change. Black screen, sound.

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here. Substantial electronics experience is required on your part because plasma tv is very very difficult to diagnose. Otherwise I can help you locate a trusted local repair shop if you provide your zip code.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

it doesn't make the customary clicking sound when I press the power button on the remote. It just turns the red light on with no sound.
Not sure if you saw this reply, so sending it again: Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here. Substantial electronics experience is required on your part because plasma tv is very very difficult to diagnose. Otherwise I can help you locate a trusted local repair shop if you provide your zip code. Let me know how you want to proceed.
What would say is the likely cause of the internal failure? Could this be something that somebody did to the TV, or did the unit itself just expire from overuse (which would be disappointing since this is the newest TV in the house and the one used the least).
I would add that the red blinks a few times when it comes on and turns off before it settles into the red light on (but blank screen).

Because you are getting a power LED on the front this is not caused by anything anyone did. It's just an internal part that failed prematurely due to manufacturing defect or use.

The LED behavior sounds pretty normal. It's likely one of the 6 or 7 internal power/drive/buffer/control boards. Unable to determine without actual diagnosis.

Ok, any idea what it might cost to repair? I don't think this is something that I want to do myself (and I have to get ready for Sunday worship soon). My zip code is 22801 if you can refer me to a repair tech locally.

Got the zip code, be right back with options.

Typically around $300 give or take.

Ok, thanks Mike

Here is what I found:

High tech tv repair (###) ###-####/p>

Best Buy Geek Squad (###) ###-####/p>

All the best. Please do submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am at least recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Thanks

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Will do. I appreciate your help and specific answers.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician