TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Cannot get audio with chromecast, Pioneer elite pro ro6u…

Cannot get audio with...

Cannot get audio with chromecast

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Pioneer elite pro ro6u media receiver with vsx 1015 audio component. About 14 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tv menu is fine tv works well with everything. Just trying to set up chromecast

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

New problem when trying to set up chromecast just hours ago. Tv on regular cable is fine.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?

I don't know. This tv has 3 components, plasma tv, media receiver and audio receiver.

The cable box has an hdmi cable going to the media receiver and a separate digital audio cable going to the audio receiver.
Chromecast just plugs in to the media receiver. No connection to the audio receiver.
7/7/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Ok

You are missing an important connection here, as there is no way for the chromecast audio to get to the surround receiver.
You'd need to add a separate optical cable from the digital audio out port on the media unit to the surround receiver, similar to what you did for the cable connection.

I have that in place.

I'm talking about from the media receiver, not from the cable box.

You also have to go into the media receiver menu and set the input modes to look for the hdmi input for audio for the chromecast.

Even then though, this still is not likely to work as these old pioneer tvs did not fully support hdmi connectivity and had difficulty with being able to output audio from digital (hdmi) sources.

If this setting doesn't help, you wouldn't be able to use the chromecast in this configuration. Your best option at that point would be to either go with a different streaming device that has an external audio port on it, or to upgrade your receiver to a newer model that supports hdmi. I can give recommendations for either, if necessary.

Cable goes from optical digital out on media unit to "in 2" on the receiver

okay that is fine to start for the physical connection, the receiver needs to be set to the correct input now, and the media receiver needs to be set to accept the hdmi audio and video input both from the same port.

Can you help with that?
The tv menu is set to hdmi digital audio.
What streaming device would you recommend. I'm planning to cut the cord with cable in the future.

That is the correct setting, thanks for checking, so if that isn't working really the only model that would work for you is the roku ultra, you can get one on amazon here: http://amzn.to/2tXyEC3

this model is necessary because it is the only one with both hdmi and optical, which you'll need to split (hdmi to tv, optical to the receiver).

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer