Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sanyo LED tv model # DP42D23 It has sound but no

Customer Question

I have a Sanyo LED tv model # DP42D23 It has sound but no picture. Was working fine when last turned off. Then when I turned it on there was no picture. This TV is 3 yrs. old and purchased at WalMart. Can you help me?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sanyo is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model #DP42D23 Sanyo. It is 3years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: This is also connected to another Tv in another room We have fiber optic Wi-Fi. The other tv works fine. When I change channels or use the guide it works fine on the other tv. The volume control works on the affected tv, in fact all the controls work on the affected tv, it just has no picture.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I shut the tv off last night, when I turned it on this morning it had sound but no picture.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I understand you have a cable box connected, and the TV has sound- what I need to know in order to proceed is if you can SEE the commands on the screen when using the ORIGINAL SANYO remote? Grab that remote and press MENU, or Volume and tell me if those icons display on the screen please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please view my reply and send one back to me to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Did you need assistance with the question you posted? If so, I'm here waiting to assist you, but if you don't need help please kindly let me know and I will move onto another venture for now.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but these symptoms point to a premature failure of the LED driver board in the Sanyo (the component that lights the screen), and this is VERY common in these off-brand sets.

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This may restore the picture. However if it does not, then you're looking at a hardware failure and there are NO pushbutton fixes for this. The average cost to have a 42" Sanyo LED repaired is in the $250 range and not cost effective as the TV can be replaced for that same cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.