Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

It lights up - turns onto a blue screen that says no signal.

Customer Question

It lights up - turns onto a blue screen that says no signal. Then turns itself off. I called the cable company, but they say it is the tv.
JA: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?
Customer: Model # VIZIO VX37L HDTV
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: it turns off to fast to do anything
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just started. There was a power surge and the house lost power. When it came back on, I turned the TV on and the blue screen came up. I hit the input button and tried to go back to HDMI2 but it turned off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you getting any sound from the tv speakers?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I turn it on and turns itself off.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or call your bank to clear a security hold on your account (the 2nd charge is usually what triggers this, not a problem with the card number/info).

If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I'll go ahead and provide you an answer here in the meantime, and if you'd like to discuss it in more detail we can work out the call.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at about 4 times the service life expected of a vizio tv.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will leave it unplugged for the hour and then try it again. If it does not work I will buy a new TV.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,